Regulations About Course Selection
Boğaziçi University Graduate Education Regulations
Summarized Selections from PHD Programs Regulations: The important regulations in order to complete PHD program with success are summarized below:
Achievement at PHD Programs (Reference: Item 26)
1) Maximum duration for PHD program is six years. Students are expected to complete the anticipated courses in four semesters maximum (for students accepted with a BA maximum six semesters) with a minimum 3,00 GPA (excluding the scientific preparation).
2) Students who have completed the anticipated courses with a minimum 3,00 GPA are entitled to take the Qualifiers exam. In the contrary case, they repeat the courses completed with F,CC and CB.
PHD QualifiersExamination Thesis Proposal Defense (Reference: Item 27)
1) Students who have completed the anticipated courses with a minimum 3,00 GPA are entitled to take the Qualifiers exam
2) Qualifiers Exam Jury consists of five Professors, one of them being the Thesis advisor and a Professor from another university
3) PHD Qualifiers Exam is conducted in two parts; Written and Oral. Students who have failed in the Qualifiers might register for the following semester and take the exam again. On condition that the student fails the Qualifiers for the second time, he might be asked to take the courses again as credit or non-credit courses upon the proposal of the jury. Student might take the qualifiers exam again after having achieved those courses.
4) Students who have failed the Qualifiers three times in total are obliged to take all the courses again.
5) Students who have completed their courses and accomplished the Qualifiers exam can register for PHD thesis.
6) Students who have accomplished the Qualifiers Exam are to defend their dissertation proposal with the scope of their research aims, techniques and work plan in front of Thesis Monitoring Committee. Students who cannot defend their proposal in the time allocated are given F. Students send the committee a written report on their thesis proposal at least fifteen days prior to the oral defense.
7) Students whose thesis proposal has been rejected can choose a new thesis advisor and subject to their thesis. A new committee might be assigned to those who have changed their advisor or subject to thesis. Students who choose to carry on with the same advisor can defend their new proposal within three months and those who choose a new advisor and a new subject can defend their proposal in six months. Students who have been rejected for the second time or those who cannot propose a thesis are asked to sit for the Qualifiers Exam again.
8) Students who have passed the Qualifiers but not registered for the Dissertation in the following two academic semesters, take the Qualifiers Exam again.
9) Students whose thesis proposal has been accepted yet did not start their thesis in the following two semesters are asked to propose a new thesis.
Doctoral Dissertation (Reference: Item 28)
1) Students who have accomplished the Qualifiers Exam are obliged to defend their dissertation within yhe duration of six years, the official duration for the PHD program. The allocated time begins when they register for the PHD
program and does not include scientific preparation.
2) For the students whose thesis proposal has been accepted, The Monitoring Committee meets once in each semester, twice in an academic year. The students are asked to hand in a written summary of their research completed so far and the study plan for the following semester, at least a month prior to the meeting.
3) Students who have successfully completed their courses, passed the Qualifiers exam and accomplished the thesis proposal defense but could not complete their thesis and take the dissertation examination in the given time by Law number 2547, can be given an extra time of four semesters with the proposal of the related department and on consent of the related Institute Board.
4) If students who have been given an extra duration of four semesters for not having been able to complete their thesis, cannot complete their thesis in the given extra time, if need be, they might be given a new thesis subject and extra six semesters with the proposal of the related department and on consent of the related Institute Board. If need be, the advisor might be changed, the student might be asked to take extra course or courses and also sit for the Qualifiers Exam upon the decision of the Institute Board. The procedure is repeated unless the student successfully defends the thesis and graduates.
5)The students' dissertation is evaluated by the committee as Successful or unsuccessful and the advisor informs the Registrar's Office of the students grade as TP or F. Students who are given two consecutive Fs or three Fs with intervals or those who do not register for their thesis in two consecutive semesters sit for the Qualifiers exam again.
Thesis Defense (Reference: Item 29)
1) Students who have completed their thesis are obliged to write the results in accordance with the rules determined by the Senate and orally defend the thesis in front of the jury.
2) Doctoral Thesis jury consists of five professors, three of them from the Monitoring Committee and at least one of them from another university
3) Dissertation Exam consists of the presentation of the study and a question-answer part following the presentation. In the Dissertation the candidate is obliged to fulfill at least one of the following conditions;
a) bring an innovation to the field,
b) develop a new scientific method,
c) apply an old method in a new field
4) Dissertation exam is open to public.
5) For students whose dissertation has been rejected, can be assigned a new thesis subject, if need be a new advisor might be assigned with the proposal of the related department and on consent of the related Institute Board. In addition, the students under these conditions might be asked to take extra course or courses with the proposal of the related department and on consent of the related Institute Board.
6) Students who have been asked to emendations in their thesis are to make the amendments and defend the thesis in front of the same jury within the given six months. PHD candidates whose thesis has not been accepted in this second defense might be assigned a new thesis subject with the proposal of the related department and on consent of the related Institute Board. If need be, a new advisor might be assigned. In addition, the students under these conditions might be asked to take extra course or courses with the proposal of the related department and on consent of the related Institute Board. According to the item number 28, article 4 of this regulation, the procedure is repeated unless the student successfully defends the thesis and graduates.
7) PHD candidate who has been successful at the thesis defense should hand in three bound copies their thesis
and signed by all members of the jury in thirty days latest to the related Institute in order to be entitled as to have a PHD.
8) Students who are successful at thesis exam have fulfilled all the conditions stated by the department and whose thesis have been found eligible are entitled to have a PHD degree. Following are the conditions to be fulfilled in order to be entitled a PHD degree at Management Department and were determined in the department meeting held on May 9, 2011. The conditions apply for those who achieved the Qualifiers Exam in Fall 2008 and onwards.
a) The candidate should have an article published, and the publication should have been accepted by a refereed journal
b) The publication can cover a topic related with the thesis, but is not necessary.
c) The process of publication should be under the supervision of the thesis advisor from the beginning of the program. Last controls before the graduation should also be made by the advisor.